The Calvert County Historical Society, Inc. was founded in 1953 by a small group of concerned Calvert County residents. On May 5, 1954, articles of incorporation were made part of the public record which stated that the main purpose of the Society was to further the collection of historical data and records concerned with Calvert County and other materials bearing on the history of the State and Nation, including private letters, documents, manuscripts, early events and acts as recorded in structures and works of public and private nature.
From a newly established Headquarters Room on site at Linden, visitors can find a wealth of valuable early county history. Gifts to the Society over the years have been varied and interesting, and have made important contributions to the understanding of the uniqueness and richness of the County’s history. The research library continues to grow in volume and diversity. Family papers describing first person accounts of historical events, wills, family Bibles, original manuscripts, photographs, published histories and a growing video library are but a small part of the collection. Portraits, pieces of furniture and artifacts have also been entrusted to the Society’s care.
Beyond the collections, the Society’s broad mission included establishing a roadside marker program as early as 1956. The first committee found only three historical markers placed by the State Roads Commission. Today, there are twenty-nine and the effort continues. A primary goal of the Society was the publishing of a History of Calvert County. In April of 1959, Charles F. Stein presented his manuscript for review and acceptance. A second edition was published as a bicentennial project. (1977)
The establishment of the Calvert County Marine Museum and the placement of Drum Point Lighthouse were among the most involved of the Society’s undertakings. As early as 1966, the lighthouse was offered to the Society. This not being practical, however, a museum depicting marine life generated much interest and a feasibility study was conducted. In 1970 a request was made to the Calvert County Commissioners to permit the use of the Old Solomons Schoolhouse as a museum. The first curator of the marine museum was appointed in 1974 and after incessant communication by the Society with the General Services Administration, Department of the Interior and others, Drum Point Lighthouse was finally moved to the museum grounds in 1975, where it sits today.
The Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, operating under the auspices of the Society, was begun in 1979 after aggressive organizing and fundraising to realize the project. The museum and railcars contribute significantly to the understanding of the resort area of Calvert County and attract many visitors to the Chesapeake Beach area annually.
The Society has contributed in other ways to the culture of the County by assisting with the restoration of the One Room Schoolhouse, No.7 (pictured on the left), the design of the County Flag, the writing of the County Song, and the design of the County Seal. The Brickpaver Project in the Courthouse square, the Battle Creek Cypress Swamp development, The Historic District Commission, and the Jefferson-Patterson Park are but a few of the projects supported by the Calvert County Historical Society.
Thank you for visiting our site and
“God Bless You ALL, real good!”
Quote by Maryland Comptroller Louis L. Goldstein,
famous Calvert County resident 1913-1998